Club Apparel - New 9/16
The club apparel store (through Voler) opens September 28 and closes October 28. Items purchased during this period will be shipped in time for Christmas. Please go to the Apparel Tab on the home page for more information and the link to purchase your club apparel.
September 4 General Club Meeting Update- NEW 9/5
1) Congratulations to Suzanne McCord who submitted the winning Party Pardee 2020 theme: The Roaring 20's
2) Thank you Keith Felte and Dave Judy for your very informative and talk about bike touring in Croatia. Thanks also to John Mott for an entertaining presentation about his Cuban experience.
3) Bob Kendall demonstrated how to use the Forums section of the club website to communicate with other members. Thanks to Bob, no more yahoo emails that go nowhere! Click on the yellow "How to Join Bike Hiker Forums" link on the top of the homepage for more information.
4) Dave Judy has volunteered to bring water to the club general meetings. Thanks to Dave and thank you also, to Rosemary Girvin for continuing to provide snacks.
5) Janet Kendall won the big raffle prize donated by Jim McCandless. He brought a unique handcrafted bike and rider sculpture from his recent trip to Africa.
Cal Bike Plate Program - 9/11
We just received word that you can now pre-order your Cal Bike License Plate. The purchase of the California Bike Plate will generate grants to promote cycling as a physical activity, fund bike skill development and nutrition education at the elementary school level and create safe places to ride through cycling advocacy. Grants will also support earn-a-bike programs for at-risk youth, middle and high school programs, promote bicycles as transportation and conduct safety and share the road education programs for drivers and cyclists. Grants will be available to statewide coalitions, community-based organizations, nonprofit organizations, county health departments and other organizations.
The Bike Hikers have been challenged by the Cal Bike Plate program to obtain 100 plate orders (and beat all other local clubs). In order for the plates to be produced, 7,500 pre-orders must be received in the next 12 months. As of today, with little promotion there are only 30. Lets do our part to support cycling and exercise.
For more information on the program and to order your plate visit CAL BIKE PLATE
Calling All Volunteers - 8/30
1. Ride the Parkway - Sunday October 6:
There are FOUR ways you can volunteer and help with this event. 1. First, you can register and ride the event. 2. Second, you can help the Parkway Foundation by helping at the event. There are a number of volunteer needs. Please visit the Parkway website for more information on both of these opportunities http://www.arpf.org/ or see Amanda Pain's recent email. 3. The third way you can help out is that the club will be having a tent at the event to provide information on our club and Pardee Party to ride participants.
4. The final opportunity is for you to represent the club and offer expertise in planning the event. The planning committee, comprised of Foundation staff, major Sacramento Bike Clubs and event sponsors, meets once a month at the Wm. Pond Park Volunteer Center. If you are interested, you can talk with Larry Robinson, our current representative, who can answer questions.
2. Great American River Clean-up - September 21
Please go to the Event Calendar and register to volunteer for the annual cleanup. We need to know how many will be there to determine how many supplies we need and how much PIZZA to order. There will be a prize for the most unusual item found! Yes, a Prize AND Pizza!
Our club is the designated Captain of the clean-up site at Paradise Beach, Mile Marker 6S. Supplies, water and snacks will be provided by the ARPF and the club will provide lunch after we are through. Details to follow. You are welcome to bring your friends and family. If you have questions you can send an email to email@example.com.
3. Sacramento Century - October 5
The club will be having a booth at the Sacramento Century Saturday Oct 5. We are looking for volunteers for the booth for a short time to talk to riders about the club and promote Party Pardee. Contact Becky Neal at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
4. 2020 Tours
Are you interested in organizing a club tour in 2020? Now is the time to start planning. Please reach out to our Tour Chair Bob Kendall if you have an interest or would like more information. Tours are presented to the membership at our January 2020 meeting, however if you schedule a tour later in the year we can have you present your tour at another meeting.
Event Calendar - Last Update 8/8
Rides can be added to the Event Calendar all year long. There are still many open days in November and December. Look on the event calendar for a day with no ride. Select the "Add Quick Event" button, complete the necessary fields and save your event. You do not need a ride leader account - so any club member can be a Ride Leader; add and lead a ride. Our Ride Coordinators will receive an email once you add your ride. They will contact you if there are any questions. If you have any questions, reach out to either Mark Munguia or Kathy Koumis or email email@example.com.